Personal Lines FAQ

Q. Does my insurance carry over to a car or rental truck?

A. Your policy coverages will extend to a replacement vehicle, of similar kind, when your vehicle is not available for use. For example: you are on vacation in Florida and rent a car. But if you borrow a truck or rent a commercial truck you will not have coverage. You would want to take the insurance from the rental company or make sure the owner of the borrowed truck has their own active insurance policy. Please call us to discuss since other coverages may or may not apply for any of these examples.

Q. Is there a penalty for cancelling my insurance mid-term?

A. Auto policies may charge a short-rate fee when you cancel your policy more than 30 days after the policy starts. Home policies do not charge a short-rate fee. Specialty policies (i.e. golf cart) may charge a set premium no matter when the policy is cancelled during the year.

Q. Do motorcycle policies include Personal Injury Protection (PIP)?

A. Motorcycles do not provide PIP coverage. You can purchase the Optional Medical Payments Coverage to cover for medical expenses for you and your passenger.

Q. Am I covered if I drive a friend’s vehicle?

A. If you have permission to drive the car then your friend’s insurance would be the primary coverage and your policy would be used once your friend’s policy limits were exhausted. If the friend is considered a “household member” you would not have coverage unless you were listed on their policy.

Q. Can I keep my insurance policy if I move out of state?

A. If you move to a different state you will need to start a new policy for that state within 30 days of the move.

Q. Do you write insurance policies in states other than Massachusetts?

A. Yes, we are licensed to write policies in some neighboring states.

Q. Do I need proof of insurance if I am planning to drive in Canada?

A. Yes, you will need a Canada Insurance Card. We have these available at our office.

Q. Can I register a vehicle without a title?

A. If the vehicle was previously titled in MA than you will need to supply the title.
Some states may not have issued a title on older vehicles, in that case a bill of sale and the previous owner’s registration may be acceptable. Remember that this is a Registry of Motor Vehicles decision and not an insurance company decision. We recommend that you find out if a particular state issued a title or not before purchasing any vehicle.

Q. Can I make a payment over the phone to our agency?

A. We cannot take payments over the phone at our office since the billing is direct from the Insurance Company, but you can call the Insurance Company billing department and do this. Please be aware that depending on payment type the company may charge a fee for this service. Payments can also be done online on your carrier’s website free of charge. Check out our “Pay A Bill” Tab on this site.

Q. How do I file a claim?

A. All our companies have direct 24/7 reporting for claims. Check out the “File A Claim Tab” on this site. Reporting directly to the company is the fastest and most efficient way to get your claim started. If you need any help or have any questions please give us a call.

Q. Does my homeowners policy cover me for theft of my jewelry?

A. The coverage for theft of jewelry is included on most homeowners, condo and renters insurance policies. However, the coverage included can be very limited in the amount and deductibles apply. If you want to cover a piece of jewelry for it’s true value than you need to specifically schedule the piece of jewelry onto your homeowners, condo or renter’s insurance policy.

Commercial Lines FAQ

Q. What is Business Income Insurance?

A. Business income provides reimbursement for lost revenue after a covered insurance loss. For a business with a store front or main street businesses such as a coffee shop or retail store, business income is a must.
For a company that does not have a physical address that’s crucial to its business, such as a contractor, business income is not as an important.

Q. What is Hired and non-owned auto liability?

A. This coverage provides protection for the business in the event an employee gets into an at-fault auto accident while driving their own personal vehicle or any other vehicle not owned or a rented vehicle during the course of their work duty.
Example: You send your secretary for envelopes at the stationary store and they go through a red light and causes an accident with bodily injury. Since she was on company time doing work for the company the business can be sued. Hired and non-owned auto insurance would respond to this claim.

Q. What is the difference between general liability and professional liability?

A. The quick answer is general liability is slips, trips and falls meaning bodily injury and/or property damage to a 3rd party.
Example; A woman walks into your store and slips on a wet floor, breaks her arm and sues your business. That’s falls under General Liability.

Professional liability is protecting your business against bad advice or guidance. Any time you give professional opinion, advice or guidance you are opening yourself up to a professional liability claim.

Get a Free Quote